Print Page

Fatal accident remains under investigation

Sun Advocate community editor

The motorcycle involved in a Jan. 25 collision with a 1992 Ford Taurus near the Blue Cut lies in the middle of the right lane on U.S. Highway. The accident claimed the life of the Price man who was riding the bike.

A Monday afternoon accident at the junction of United States Highway 6 and Carbonville Road claimed the life of a Price resident.

Patrick Bailey, 51, was killed Jan. 24 when the custom motorcycle he was riding collided with a vehicle reportedly turning left onto U.S. Highway 6.

According to Sgt. John Kelly of the Utah Highway Patrol, Bailey was northbound on the highway when Anthony Ganino, age 49 of Helper, purportedly attempted to turn left onto Carbonville Road.

Ganino purportedly turned in front of Bailey, whose motorcycle crashed into the front door post of the vehicle. Bailey was traveling in the right lane of the bypass road when the accident happened and the victim was thrown over the top of the car onto the pavement.

Bailey was pronounced dead at the scene after emergency medical personnel arrived at the site.

Following the collision, the 1992 Taurus driven by Ganino pulled several feet onto Carbonville Road before the vehicle came to a halt.

Emergency workers offered medical assistance to Ganino, but the motorist apparently refused treatment.

The speed that Bailey was traveling when the collision occurred was unknown.

But Sgt. Kelly said there was indication that the Price resident may have realized what was happening because law enforcement officials conducting the preliminary investigation into the incident determined that the speedometer on the motorcycle was pegged at 40 miles per hour.

"At present, we are continuing the investigation and charges in the accident are pending," said Sgt. Kelly on Tuesday morning.

Kelly noted that law enforcement did not suspect drugs or alcohol were involved in the collision.

The UHP sergeant said the operator of the vehicle was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident. However, Bailey was not wearing a helmet.

After the accident, the northbound lanes of the road were shut down and traffic had to be routed through the median to keep vehicle travel flowing.

Both drivers were traveling alone at the time of the accident and no other individuals were involved in the incident.

Print Page