Print Page

Authorities respond to gun threat at Mont Harmon

Mont Harmon Principal Carol Wells speaks with law officers from the sheriff's office while other deputies search for a suspected weapon.
A Price police photo showing the weapon found at Mont Harmon Junior High. Police were called to the school following a student's report that a fellow classmate had brought a gun to school on Wednesday.
Helper Police Chief Trent Anderson stands by as the search goes on for a weapon which was reportedly brought to school by a student.
Police begin a search of the roof.
Students, not knowing what was going on, wait in the school library during the lockdown at Mont Harmon Junior High School.

Sun Advocate associate editor
Sun Advocate reporter

Student reports weapon he is shown, school goes on lockdown

A Mont Harmon Junior High student is in custody after police say he displayed a firearm at school sparking a lockdown of the campus on Wednesday morning.

According to a Price City Police press release, the student, identified as an eighth grade male who attends the school, reportedly displayed a firearm to a fellow student. That student later told school officials of the weapon at 11:45 a.m.

The school immediately notified police and quickly put the school on lockdown.

"We didn't know what was going on, they just locked us down," said one Mont Harmon student.

Carbon County deputies made contact with the student who had the gun at 11:54 a.m. and safely had him in custody moments later, the release said.

During an interview with police, the suspect made initial denials about the weapon before revealing the he had hidden the gun on school property. He later led officers to where the gun, a Colt .38 revolver, was found.

The gun was unloaded and no ammunition was present at the school, the release said.

According to one student at Mont Harmon, the suspect had only be in school for a few days and that nobody knew much about him.

According to Bill Barnes, Price Police Captain, everyone at the school was safe and not in any harm.

Authorities from Price City, Carbon County Sheriff's Office, Helper Police and Adult Probation and Parole all responded to the scene by 11:48 a.m.

The school was on lockdown for about 45 minutes before police cleared the school letting students and staff back to their regular schedules.

The suspect was taken to the Price Youth Detention Facility where is he being held.

The investigation into the incident is still ongoing.

Print Page