Print Page


Kitchen fire quickly extinguished

Members of the East Carbon/Sunnyside Fire Department work

Members of the East Carbon/Sunnyside Fire Department work to clear a smoke filled apartment at Whitmore Squares in East Carbon. Fire officials were dispatched to the apartment of Lois Stubbs just after 1:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon to battle what was reported as a "small kitchen fire." One of the burners in the apartment's kitchen reportedly caught fire when grease was ignited on the range. Stubbs as well as her neighbors were led to safety as fire officials arrived and put down the blaze. According to those on scene, the fire was put out quickly with large amounts of smoke causing the only real damage. Fire officials cautioned residents to be mindful of grease build up around burners as the substance is highly flammable and often difficult to put out.




Print Page