On Saturday, Jan. 26 the first ever Fruitcake Extravaganza is going to take place in Sutherlands parking lot at 406 South Highway 55.
There are three events the public can participate in and the cost of admission is free.
The first competition is a hand fruitcake toss. We will be awarding a Miter Saw worth $299 to the person who can throw the fruitcake they bring with them the farthest. Here are the rules for that event.
1. The fruitcake must be uncut and unwrapped from any kind of cellophane, plastic or cardboard.
2. The person throwing the fruitcake must not use any kind of device to throw such as a paddle or a Lacrosse stick.
3. All fruitcakes must be thrown underhand; no overhand throwing.
4.Once the fruitcake has been thrown the thrower will stand next to the throwing course to mark their spot. Only one throw per person.
Next will be a fruitcake relay race. We will time the event as teams of four people run a 100 yard course each with a fruitcake on a bread board (both of which the Sun Advocate will supply for consistency) through a survival course without dropping the fruitcake on the ground. There will be no touching it with your fingers or any other body part either. Each of member of the winning four person team will be awarded an oscillating tool worth $99. Here are the rules.
1. Once the whistle to start is blown, no member of the team may touch the fruitcake in any way with their hands or other body parts. Relays must be done by sliding the fruitcake onto the next runner's breadboard.
2. The course will involve running around pylons and stepping over various obstacles while keeping the fruit cake on the bread board.
3. Runners must stay on the course or they will be disqualified. Missing any one of the obstacles also means disqualification.
4.The event will be timed. The team with the best time will be judged to be the prize winners.
5.The Sun Advocate will supply the fruitcake and breadboards for this event. You cannot use your own equipment or fancy fruitcake for this event.
Third, bring your own fruitcake art. Whatever creation you can come up with a fruitcake (or fruitcakes) as the center of an art piece. our contest team will judge. Prizes will be given for the top three pieces of art as is determined by the judges. First place will get a $50 gift card to Sutherlands, second place will get a $25 gift card and third place will get a $15 gift card.
And for those of you who just want to watch the goings on, you can also bring fruitcakes and use them to get $10 off a yearly, in-county subscription on the spot. This applies to both new subscriptions and renewals.
The extravaganza will take place between Noon and 3 p.m. If the weather is bad (we mean snow and wind, not just the cold) we will delay it until the next week on Feb. 2.
There will be no preregistration, but you must register for the events beginning at Noon that day and by 15 minutes before your event takes place.There is no cost to register with the exception of having your own fruitcake to throw during the event.
Here is the timetable for the events.
12:30 p.m. Fruitcake Art display begins.
1 p.m. The Fruitcake Relay Race.
2 p.m. The Fruitcake Throw.