Remembering a 1-man construction gang
Descendants of Gottlieb "Lieb" Miller hold memorial plaques presented by Price City at a recent council meeting
Descendants of Gottlieb "Lieb" Miller hold memorial plaques presented by Price City at a recent council meeting. Back in 1938, Lieb Miller single-handedly built the first large steel water tank in Utah on the slope of Wood Hill north of what is now Mont Harmon Junior High School. The 750,000-gallon tank was 80 feet in diameter and 25 feet high. It was constructed of steel sheets seven feet wide and 40 feet long, each weighing about 3,000 pounds. Miller, a blacksmith and machine shop owner, had originally planned on hiring three workers to fulfill the city contract he had won. However, he got into a labor dispute and decided to do the job himself. He built his own derrick to hoist the big steel sheets and welded each one in place. The tank was demolished in 2011. Scraps of steel plate from the tank adorn the plaques. A montage of the construction effort will be on the Wall of Fame in City Hall.