Print Page

Price fireworks plan turns lots of little parties into one big one

john serfustini - sun advocate
Price fireworks ban becomes one big party
john serfustini - sun advocate

Sun Advocate publisher

When Price City announced the week before last that the only fireworks allowed in the city limits would have to be set off on the old Durrant School property north of USU Eastern, many wondered what such a gathering would look like and if it would be any fun.

Well for many it was fun. In fact, some liked it so much they think it would a good way to do the individual fireworks every year, regardless of the fire danger in the area.

Nonetheless, the gathering of people at the college property proved that accidents on fireworks holidays can be minimized when done correctly.

"It was the best July 4th holiday I have ever seen for controlling fires and firework mishaps," said Price Fire Cheif Paul Bedont. "We didn't have any trouble in the community at all."

That was very good for Price firefighters, many of whom were already very tired spending time in various areas combating problems that had arisen from the Seeley Fire in southwestern Carbon County.

"We monitored what was going on at the Durrant property closely and I think people had a good time," said Bedont. "I warned people right from the beginning that if they had any illegal fireworks and set them off I would cite them. I told them if they had any with them they should take them back to their cars."

The fireworks at the Carbon County Fairgrounds were also cancelled due to the conditions. But that doesn't mean there weren't any big fireworks on Independence Day night. The fireworks were on the mountains west of town. As people watched from the Fairgrounds and other places in the county, the backfires started by firefighters around Second Water and Bob Wright Canyon climbed up the mountain and made the horizon glow for hours.

That fire light caused problems for officials. Because people wanted to see what was going on, they wanted to get closer. Some tried to avoid barricades, used old dirt roads and rode ATVs up Spring Canyon trying to get closer to the fire to see it.

At dusk on July 4 the fire was flaring and could be seen into the night hours raging west-southwest of Price. Rumors came about that the fire was burning near Pinnacle Peak, but the fire was still far from there.

Law enforcement officers were deployed at a number of roads and dirt roads leading to the fire area as curious onlookers tried to get closer. Consumers Road was rife with traffic from about 9 p.m. until well after 11 p.m. as people flocked to it to see the fire. This was despite the fact there was a large flashing sign saying the road was closed and needed for fire suppression traffic.

Print Page