Wellington fire fighters inspect the charred wreckage of the home, which was still smoking slightly Wednesday morning.
Smoke alarms saved the lives of a Miller Creek family who were able to evacuate their burning home in a midnight fire Wednesday.
Two dogs in the attached garage where the fire started did not escape, though, according to Price Fire Chief Paul Bedont, whose team worked with Wellington fire fighters to put out the blaze.
Homeowner Tom Kosmac said the fire was probably started by an electric heater in the garage.
From the garage, the fire spread through the roof and ceilings. Flames took out the entire garage roof, and the heat and collapsing debris completely destroyed a car parked inside.
The fire was intense enough to scorch the side of a camping trailer parked nearby.
Bedont said fire fighting was complicated by the high pitched roof of the dwelling. "You're leery about sending people into a structure where the fire is burning overhead," he explained.
The chief said the interior of the living area had some smoke damage and may be reparable. Damage would have been much worse - even tragic - had the smoke alarms not awakened the family, the chief said.