Print Page

Search continues for missing men

By Richard Shaw

The search for two Colorado men who came up missing last weekend continued in Carbon County on Friday.

Air search crews used both a Utah Public Safety helicopter and fixed wing aircraft to search the area around Nine Mile Canyon, Clark Valley and other areas, but found nothing as of 4 p.m. Friday.

The search for Mark Widegren and Brian Axe, both 28 years old, has now made a new turn as local officials sent out a press release Friday afternoon asking any businesses that have surveillance cameras to review their recordings from last weekend and report if they saw the gold colored 2000 Jeep Cherokee with Colorado license plate 724-TDP the pair were driving.

The two men have been in the area working on a pipeline for W.C. Streigel Inc. They left work at 5:30 p.m. last Saturday. The last confirmed siting was at the Silver Dollar bar in Price on Saturday night. They paid their bill at 11:30 and Axe called his wife to say they were leaving the establishment between 11:30 and midnight. They have not been heard from since.

Axe's uncle, Mic McPherson said on Friday morning that there had been some unconfirmed sightings of the two on Sunday, but none of those are for sure.

"It isn't in these two guys personalities to just walk away from things and not let anyone know where they are," he said while he was waiting to get on a search plane at the Carbon County Airport. "They didn't take anything with them for staying away for more than a day and my nephew has medications he needs to take, but he doesn't have them with him."

When the men failed to arrive at work on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, a co-worker called on the Axe's relatives and told them the pair had not showed up. The Sheriff's department started looking for them as soon as it was reported.

Anyone having any information about the men are asked to contact the Carbon County Sheriff's department at 435 636-3251 or after hours or over the weekend at 435 637-0890.

Carbon County Sheriff's Department spokesman Wally Hendricks said that the department would continue searching over the weekend with all avenues available to them.

Print Page