Print Page

Fire damages Wellington home

Mace Jensen surveys damage after firefighters quelled the house fire.

Sun Advocate reporter

A fire damaged part of a home in Wellington on Thursday morning.

Mace Jensen, a Wellington resident, said he was testing out his wood burning stove when he accidentally left the door to the stove open and walked into his home. Soon after smoke and flames began shooting out of the door.

Jensen and neighbors fought the flames with garden hoses while they dialed 911. Firefighters arrived at the home a short time later.

The fire from the stove ignited materials that were close by in the room, according to Wellington Fire Chief Johnny Powell.

While the fire damaged the room with the stove, the house did not suffer any serious damage. Firefighters created holes around the sides of the room to help push smoke out. After the fire was extinguished, a large pile of sheet rock, burned wood and insulation laid on the ground as firefighters cleared out the room.

Jensen was the only one at the home when the fire started.

While the fire only damaged the room with the stove in it, Powell said things could have been much worse as the fire could have caused more damage to the home.

Print Page