Print Page


Enjoying fireworks safely

Seven-year-old Karson Root - with adult supervision - gets a kick out of painting sparkling arcs of light in the night sky. Public safety officials urge parents to keep a close eye on children with fireworks to prevent accidents that could ruin an otherwise good time. Sparklers sparkle because they are extremely hot metal particles, so it is important to make sure youngsters hold them at arm's length. They also keep their heat after they go out, so touching them or walking on them too soon could burn. Other fireworks also demand caution. It is dangerous to ignite more than one at a time or to light one too close to the stash of other fireworks. Although they are small, they are still explosives. Safety experts advise that people buy their fireworks only from licensed dealers in Utah. Out-of-state devices may not comply with Utah rules and could be dangerous. Besides the potential for injury, fireworks could accidentally touch of fires. It is illegal to set off any fireworks in campgrounds or other public lands because of the threat of wildfires. At home, it is a good idea to have a hose or fire bucket on hand to put out any small fires before they can spread. Since the paper or cardboard casings could smoulder, it is also advised that people soak the exploded remains before throwing into a trash can that contains other combustibles. People should never attempt to reignite a dud flare or firecracker because these things could go off at any time and cause injury to anyone who is too close. Roman candles and rockets should never be pointed at anyone. Keeping the holidays safe is everyone's responsibility.

Seven-year-old Karson Root - with adult supervision - gets a kick out of painting sparkling arcs of light in the night sky. Public safety officials urge parents to keep a close eye on children with fireworks to prevent accidents that could ruin an otherwise good time. Sparklers sparkle because they are extremely hot metal particles, so it is important to make sure youngsters hold them at arm's length. They also keep their heat after they go out, so touching them or walking on them too soon could burn. Other fireworks also demand caution. It is dangerous to ignite more than one at a time or to light one too close to the stash of other fireworks. Although they are small, they are still explosives. Safety experts advise that people buy their fireworks only from licensed dealers in Utah. Out-of-state devices may not comply with Utah rules and could be dangerous. Besides the potential for injury, fireworks could accidentally touch of fires. It is illegal to set off any fireworks in campgrounds or other public lands because of the threat of wildfires. At home, it is a good idea to have a hose or fire bucket on hand to put out any small fires before they can spread. Since the paper or cardboard casings could smoulder, it is also advised that people soak the exploded remains before throwing into a trash can that contains other combustibles. People should never attempt to reignite a dud flare or firecracker because these things could go off at any time and cause injury to anyone who is too close. Roman candles and rockets should never be pointed at anyone. Keeping the holidays safe is everyone's responsibility.




Print Page