Print Page


No such thing as 'kid safe' fireworks, safety officials warn

Phill Raich and Danielle Kobe staff the sales tent of TNT Fireworks on Price Main Street for the coming holidays. The fireworks are legal in town, but people should still be extremely cautious using them.

Fire and public safety officials warn that even approved fireworks carry some risk of injury. As the July Fourth and Pioneer Day holidays approach, they advise people not to ruin a good time with injuries or fires from misuse.

The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission has estimated that the injury toll nationwide each year is in the thousands, with about 7,000 in 2008.

Here are some hints from the Utah Department of Public Safety:

* Buy fireworks in Utah from licensed dealers.

* Read and follow directions.

* Never experiment with fireworks.

* Do not try to reignite "duds." They can still explode.

* Keep a safe distance away.

* Never give fireworks to small children.

* Light only one at a time.

* Keep a fire bucket or garden hose handy.

It is also a good idea to wet down exploded fireworks before tossing them in the garbage. They may still have smoldering hot spots than can reignite.

Meanwhile, the Bureau of Land Management reminds people that it is illegal and dangerous to discharge fireworks on all public lands inside developed recreation sites. That means campgrounds.

For all public lands, it is illegal to use any type of explosive, motorized or mechanical, including some fireworks, homemade pipe bombs, and sobe bombs.

Bear in mind that, although many consider sparklers a "safe" firework for young children, sparklers burn at extremely high temperatures and can easily ignite clothing or hair.

The burning metal dust on sparklers can exceed 1,800 degrees F., which means they stay hot for a long time after they stop glowing.




Print Page