Print Page

Vandal hits paper

Rocks lay where they landed after a vandal threw them through the front foyer windows and through two pieces of door glass at the Sun Advocate office in Price. The Price police apprehended a suspect based on a note that was left at the scene which included his name.

Sun Advocate reporter

An early morning strike by a vandal over the weekend left the front foyer and lobby of the Sun Advocate covered with glass.

The incident occurred just a little after 2 a.m. on Sunday morning. A customer at the Maverik convenience store next to the Sun Advocate heard glass breaking and saw a person by the front of the newspaper building. The woman was headed to the hospital and called Price dispatch after she left the store.

Price Police Officer Ralph Vose was only a few blocks away and responded immediately. Upon arrival he found that landscaping rocks from the front of the business had been used to smash or break four foyer windows, one door glass leading into the foyer and another door that led directly into the building's lobby. He also found one rock that had split in half after it had been used in an attempt to break another office window, but had failed to go through the glass. The rocks used to break the windows weighed between 10 and 70 lbs. Most of them were in the 50 lb. range.

Vose also found a box inside the foyer with a two page, rambling note inside it. One passage in the note said that the Sun Advocate was the "son of the devil." Much of the note was incoherent scribbling. Vose also noted that the note was signed by someone he knew of.

While Vose investigated the scene Price Police Officer David Wilkinson, who knew of the individual whose name was on the note went the suspect's house. The suspect reportedly answered the door and Wilkinson asked him about the window breaking spree. At that time he arrested the man. The arrest took place within 30 minutes of the reported incident.

The damage to the building was not confined to just glass, but a number of window sills and window frames were damaged, along with carpet and an indentation in the sheet rock wall in the foyer.

"We have never hand anything like this happen to our building in the nine years I have been working at the newspaper," said Sun Advocate publisher Richard Shaw. "The worst we have ever had was some graffiti painted on a wall about three years ago. Physical attacks on newspapers and their facilities sometimes happen during times of stress, but I certainly have no understanding of why this would be done to our paper in particular at this time."

The estimated damage to the building is in excess of $3,000.

Print Page