The Utah Poison Control Center reminds Carbon County residents about the dangers of accidental poisonings
In 2007, more than 61 percent of calls to the Utah Poison Control Center involved children younger than 6 years old.
The most common substances accidentally ingested by children in the age group were cosmetics and personal-care products, household cleaning substances, analgesics, topical preparations and creams and cough and cold preparations.
Although young children are at highest risk for poison exposure, adults ages 20 to 59 years old comprised 23 percent of calls to the UPCC in 2007. Adults ages 60 and older comprised 4 percent of calls.
More than 90 percent of poisonings occur in the home.
One call to the UPCC provides quick, reliable treatment advice for a poison exposure 24 hours a day, often saving a costly trip to the doctor's office or emergency room.
The center's specially trained pharmacists and nurses can identify situations that may require emergency medical attention, according to Barbara Insley Crouch, director of UPCC.
"Poisonings can occur at any age," pointed out Crouch. "But young children and older adults are most vulnerable to accidental poisonings."
The UPCC urges adults in Carbon County to remember several basic poison prevention tips. Local residents should:
Call the Utah Poison Control Center immediately if they suspect a poisoning.
Use child-resistant caps in prescription and non-prescription medications.
The caps allow adults a few extra minutes to intervene before a child can open a bottle.
Medicines that allow adults to live active and healthy lives can be deadly to youngsters.
Never leave household chemical products and medicines unattended.
The majority of poisonings occur when household products and medicines are in use.
People should store household products and medicines separately and out of reach and sight of small children and pets.
Unintentional poisonings occur when medicines and chemicals are mistaken for food products, such as juice or sports drinks.
Never store potential poisons in containers used for eating and drinking.
People should store all products in the original, labeled container.
Always read the label and follow the instructions before using medicines, cleaners, pesticides, automotive products, and lawn and garden supplies.
Consumers should be aware that first aid instructions listed on products are often incorrect or dangerous.
Always leave the light on when giving or taking medicine.
People should check the dosage each time a medicine is used.
Avoid taking medicine in front of children.
Never refer to medicine as candy.
Clean medicine cabinets periodically and safely dispose of unneeded and outdated medication.
Check and secure all rooms in the house or apartment for potential poisons.
Carbon County residents may contacting the UPCC through the confidential toll-free hotline at 1-800-222-1222. Calling will put residents in immediate contact with the Utah center 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The UPCC is accessible to the deaf and non-English-speaking people.
For additional information, Carbon County residents with Internet access may visit the UPCC website at www.utahpoisoncontrol.org.