|Firefighters Brett Cammans and Janarie Larsen are given oxygen by emergency personnel after going into a burning structure in search of 1-year-old Weston Wyatt. Firefighers were not able to rescue the child.|
At approximately 9:15 a.m. on April 20 a fire call went out directing emergency personnel to the Feichko trailer park on Carbon Avenue.
According to Price City Fire Chief Paul Bedont, the local fire department arrived at the home of Brian and April Wyatt, located just south of Union Pacific railroad line, within four minutes of the call.
The call had advised that there was still one child trapped within the structure and according to the chief a rescue team was ready to go in upon arriving at the home.
"The initial rescue team gained entry to the home immediately upon arrival, but was unable to locate the child in the back bedroom," stated Bedont.
The fire chief reported that the bedroom shared by the Wyatt's three children is thought to be the point of origin for the fire which claimed the life of one-year-old Weston Wyatt. At the time of his death Wyatt was one week away from his second birthday.
"Once they could not locate the child in the back bedroom our firefighters worked their way into the hall but were pushed from the structure due to heavy rollover within the trailer," continued Bedont.
|Residents and police personnel help get hoses off the trucks for firefighters battling the blaze in the mobile home in Feichko trailer park.|
Chief Bedont went on to explain fires within structures such as trailers are very difficult to enter or contain.
"Trailers act just like a chimney," said Bedont. "They can form a wind tunnel and once a fire gets going within them the windows usually blow out due to the intense heat and flames."
According to the chief, April Wyatt was able to get her two older children, Austin, age 5, and Savanah, age 3, out of the trailer before the flames forced her from the home. The mother was later admitted to Castleview Hospital for smoke inhalation suffered while working to save her children.
"The secondary search team was able to locate the child," commented Bedont. "If there is a silver lining in what is a horrible tragedy, it is the way the community has rallied around this family."
Bedont reported that while the Wyatt's do not have insurance they will not go without due to the large outpouring of support here in Carbon County. An account has been set up for the family at Zions Bank and Eastern Utah Community Credit Union under the name of Weston Wyatt.
"At this difficult time I would like to remind everyone of the importance of smoke detectors and an escape plan for all families," concluded Bedont.
The Price city fire chief stipulated that the Price city fire department is willing to purchase and install smoke detectors for all families who are not financially able.