Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is October 13, 2015
home newssports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » October 31, 2013 » Carbon County News » Coal miner beat long odds to win battle for survival
Published 712 days ago

Coal miner beat long odds to win battle for survival

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints


Nine out of ten people crushed as badly as Karl Hartman was don't make it. He was luckily in the ten percent that survived. It's a Thanksgiving story he shared in a conversation Tuesday.

To understand just how extensive his injuries were back in September 1989, consider that it was a heavy coal mine vehicle that flipped over and landed square on his back in the old Soldier Creek Mine. The weight crushed all of his ribs on the right side - "They couldn't count all the fractures," he recalled - then punctured his right lung, broke his back in three places, put a hole in his pulmonary artery and gave him a separated shoulder.

To complicate matters, when his ambulance arrived at Castleview Hospital, the emergency room staff was already working on another miner who had suffered a catastrophic head injury at another mine. "But the doctor decided that there was no way the other guy was going to make it and they went to work on me," Hartman said. "They stabilized me and LifeFlighted me to the University of Utah Medical Center."

The doctors there removed two thirds of his right lung and put him on a ventilator. He was okay for a few days after that, but then on top of everything else he developed adult respiratory distress syndrome. His lungs were failing.

"They told me he had only a ten percent chance of survival, but I had a flash that he'd survive, no matter what," said his wife, Loretta.

The Hartmans learned that doctors at LDS Hospital nearby had been doing some experimental work on the treatment for his ailment and they decided to give that a try. At LDS, they hooked him up to a heart-lung machine, taking blood out of his femoral artery, oxygenating it in the machine then returning it in a major vein in the other leg. This lasted for seven days and 72 units of blood.

When the medical team took him off the heart-lung machine and put him back on a regular ventilator, his lungs had recovered their function.

His was finally released from ICU the day before Thanksgiving.

That good news was even better for the Hartmans. For part of the time that Karl was in intensive care, Loretta was in the maternity ward, delivering their sixth child.

Karl eventually healed to the point that he could work again. Rather than return to his job at Soldier Creek, though, he decided to put his mining degree to work and to a supervisory job in hard rock mining.

His is now the chief engineer at Hecla Limited's Lucky Friday Mine in Mullan, Idaho, near Coeur d'Alene. They dig lead, silver and zinc there.

Hartman says he gets around all right these days, 24 years after the accident. "Normal walking is okay but I don't do stairs very well," he said. Other than that, there are backaches now and then.

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Top of Page

Article Photos  
Browse / enlarge – (1 total)
Print photo(s) with article
Get photo reprints on CD
NOTE: To print only the article and included photos, use the print photo(s) with article link above.
Carbon County News  
October 31, 2013
Recent Local News
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories

Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us