Progress continues at the Haycock Family Cemetery
Bunny Haycock and several other descendants and relatives of the Haycock, Buckley, Jones and Stowell families decorate the renovated Haycock Family cemetery in Spring Glen. The cemetery was founded in 1892 by Thomas and Mary Ann Haycock, who came to homestead on 160 acres in 1891. It is interesting to note that the cemetery's oldest grave belongs to Sophia Idelia Jones, a baby who the Haycocks believe must have belonged to friends of the family. The site had fallen into a drastic state of disrepair until the cemetery was visited by Bunny and her husband Barry Haycock in 2010. As Barry is the great-grandson of Thomas and Mary Ann, he and his wife began planning, and dared to dream the nearly impossible. For three days in Oct. 2010, the Haycocks worked tirelessly, clearing massive brush and debris - which stood five to six feet tall - by hand. Initially machines could not be used as the brush wound right through graves and headstones. While the early work was heroic in nature, it was only the beginning as more and more interested parties came forward, giving the project a life of its own. Projects planned for 2013 include purchasing a permanent sign for the cemetery, installing a border to face the street and rectifying the Haycock's original cabin on-site.