Wellington sexual assault leads to rumors of others in county
A rape that took place in Wellington on Thursday night led to rumors that there had been a number of sexual assaults across the county. However those rumors seem unfounded as of Saturday night.
Wellington Police Chief Lee Barry told the Sun Advocate that while on duty today he had been flagged down a number of times by citizens who were concerned about what was going on around the county.
"I know of no other rapes that have taken place since Thursday." he said in a phone interview. "A number of people were upset when they were talking to me, but all we know about is the one that took place here on Thursday."
Barry couldn't release too much information because the crime is still under investigation but he said that his department had gathered a good deal of evidence and had sent it to the crime lab.
"I will know more next week," he said.
Carbon County Sheriff James Cordova indicated he had not heard of any other cases in the county.
Rumors had run rampant since Thursday night about rapes in various places in the county, but no official sources have come forward to say there have been any other attacks.
The rumors were largely circulated on social media sites and they spread quickly.
Watch the Sun Advocate for more details when they are available.