Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is October 4, 2015
home newssports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » January 14, 2003 » Local News » Authorities investigate fatal shooting incident
Published 4,646 days ago

Authorities investigate fatal shooting incident

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Sun Advocate editor

The Price City Police Department continues to conduct the official investigation into the Jan. 10 shooting incident that resulted in the death of a 22-year-old male subject.

At approximately 2:21 p.m. last Friday, the Utah Department of Corrections requested assistance from the Carbon County Sheriff's Office and Price city police in an effort to contact and control an individual under the jurisdiction of the local adult probation and patrol office, indicated Chief Aleck Shilaos.

Due to the reportedly violent behavior exhibited by the subject in question, probation and parole officials had contacted Tony Lee Taylor earlier Friday morning at a different location, explained Shilaos.

The individual had received treatment from a mental health agency at 11:48 a.m. on Friday, but the young man's violent behavior apparently persisted and family members called the parole officers for assistance in controlling the subject.

After law enforcement personnel arrived at a private residence in northeast Price last Friday afternoon, Taylor purportedly fled through the apartment into the kitchen area, continued Shilaos.

Price Policeman Dave Cartwright, Carbon Deputy Tory Christiansen and state corrections agent Jeff Wood followed in pursuit and the individual allegedly attacked the law enforcement officers with a kitchen knife.

The authorities' attempts to restrain the subject failed and Taylor managed to obtain a larger knife. After the subject reportedly started slashing at the officers with the knife, Christiansen fired his service weapon once to prevent Taylor from seriously injuring the law enforcement authorities, confirmed the Price police chief.

County ambulance and Price fire department emergency crews responded to the scene and transported the injured man to Castleview Hospital for medical treatment.

The 22-year-old subject later died from a single gunshot wound to the stomach, added the Price police chief.

The Price City Police Department is continuing to conduct the formal investigation into the fatal shooting incident, indicated Shilaos.

During a separate interview Monday morning, Carbon Sheriff James Cordova confirmed that the deputy will remain on paid administrative leave until the county attorney's office reviews the chain of events leading to the shooting and screens the evidence collected in connection with the incident.

Christiansen's future status at the sheriff's office will be determined based on the results of the shooting board review, concluded Cordova.

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Top of Page

Local News  
January 14, 2003
Recent Local News
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories

Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us