Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is October 4, 2015
home news sports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » December 12, 2002 » Carbon Senior Scene » Seniors given options for business problems
Published 4,679 days ago

Seniors given options for business problems

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Carbon County seniors who have a problem with a business may be able to resolve the matter by returning the product or making a telephone call.

In some instances, consumers may opt to write a letter of complaint, according to AARP.

However, before doing anything, people should decide what they want the company to do: Refund money, repair the product or exchange the item for a new one.

•Seniors opting to make complaint telephone calls should:

Look for a toll-free customer service number on the product's package. Consumers may also call toll-free directory assistance at 1-800-555-1212 to see if the company has a listed number.

Ask to speak to the consumer affairs or customer relations department or the head of the company if there is no consumer affairs office.

Consumers should calmly and concisely describe the problem and what action they would like the company to take.

People should keep notes detailing who they spoke with, what the company representative said, the date and time. People should also ask when they may expect a response.

If the issue is not resolved and a second call is made, consumers should ask for the name of the person's supervisor so that they can write a letter to him or her.

•Seniors sending a complaint letter or e-mail should:

Type the letter and be specific. Be sure to include name, address, phone number and e-mail address. Include company account numbers if applicable.

People should be reasonable and persistent, not angry or threatening, and include copies of any relevant documents. Consumers should also keep a copy of the complaint letter.

File a complaint with the state consumer protection office, Utah Better Business Bureau or the state agency that regulates the industry or product if the company doesn't resolve a problem in a reasonable time.

•Additional options include:

Stopping payment on a check.

Disputing charges through credit card companies. Consumers do not have to pay the charges while the bill is in dispute, but the interest will still accrue.

In additions, Carbon County seniors may contact the "Write-A-Wrong" program of AARP's Legal Counsel for the Elderly Inc. The program, established to help older persons resolve consumer problems, will organize and write letters as well as provide contact information for the company with which people have a dispute. Write-A-Wrong is free to individuals older than 60 years of age with an income totalling less than $20,000 and to families with an income of less than $25,000.

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Top of Page

Carbon Senior Scene  
December 12, 2002
Recent Focus
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories

Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us