Family determined to improve cemetery in Spring Glen
The Haycock Cemetery on Haycock Lane in Spring Glen was established in about 1891 by Thomas William Haycock and his wife, Mary Ann Brindley Haycock.
These early emigrants from Rugeley, Stafforshire, England came to work the coal mines. They built a small cabin at the bottom of what is now called, Haycock Lane.
When friends and family lost loved ones they came to Thomas William and asked permission to bury their dead at the top of the hill. The cemetery soon evolved into a place where several families brought their loved deceased, both young and old, for burial. No one was turned away.
Today, in what is called the Haycock Cemetery, one can count at least 46 graves on the site ranging from interments in 1891 to 1999.
Eventually Thomas William gave the cemetery to his son, Alma Wyser Haycock. Alma passed it on to his son, George Wallace Haycock. When George passed it went into the estate of his daughter, Kathryn Mary Haycock, and her husband Gerald Dobson. Kathryn passed away in March of 2002 and the cemetery remains in her husband's estate.
Over the years local family members have worked at maintaining the grounds. In later years family members purchased new gravestones that replaced old faded ones.
But in some cases the old etched stones became unreadable. Wooden markers weathered and became charred during cleanup attempts when fire was used to burn the ever encroaching weeds.
Today there are nine graves that remain unknown. Two have been identified and plans are in process to upgrade those burial sites.
In Sept. 2010 Barry J. Haycock of South Jordan (a direct descendent of Thomas William), his wife, Bunny and their granddaughter, Katelin Gumfory from Grand Junction, Colo. went to the cemetery on a stormy weekend and began to remove the overgrown weeds. They found wild grasses, rabbit brush taller than their heads, grease wood, 30 foot elm and cotton wood trees, charred stumps left from dead trees along the road that had been previously burned, sage brush, sun flowers, and unidentified vines that seemed impenetrable.
When a neighbor, Norman Hansen, saw them working with shovels and grubbing hoes, he came to offer his assistance. He soon joined them in their efforts with his tractor and brush hog, offering chain saws and whatever other equipment was necessary to help with the renovation project.
At the end of three days the four were able to completely clear the cemetery (approximately 3/4 of an acre). A mountain of brush remained in the center of the cemetery. The plan was to let the brush dry and return to burn it at a later date. After the workers left however, to their surprise, a dump truck and a front loader came and hauled the waste away. That was due to the courtesy of Carbon County.
Reclamation and restoration of the cemetery has become near and dear to the hearts of the Haycocks. They hope to lay gravel paths, perhaps rebuild the old home stead cabin on the upper portion, would like to fence the front of the cemetery and identify the grounds somehow. They would like to repair, replace or restore some of the old head stones, but they find themselves in somewhat of a delema.
Over the years other families have established grave sites at the cemetery, but the Haycocks do not have any direct contact with living members of those families.
"We would like to ask the communities in Carbon County if they can possibly help us locate these families," said Bunny. "The graves include Heber John Stowell (1860 -1923) and his wife, Ellen Laving Thompson (1869 -1959). In addition David Smith King (1867-1941) and his wife, Mary Ann Haycock (1905 -1979) have an infant child buried there, but there is no name is on the grave. It just is marked 'King Baby.'"Also the Haycocks would like to contact the family of Andrew J. Buckley (1885 -1947) and his wife, Etta May Bellows (1889-1959). In addition Edwin Thomas Jones (1856-1912) and his wife, Anna Sophia Hansen (1865-1940) have four to six small graves around their headstone, none of which are marked. The fence around one of the graves has been totally destroyed due to years of weather.
The Haycocks say they would love to restore that fence and mark those small graves, but would like to have permission from the Jones family before starting the work.
The cabin the family wants to relocate at the top of the cemetery presently sits on property owned by Dave Levanger. He has told the Haycock's that he would be happy to give them the cabin and even provide help to get it in place. The family will be in town in April to assess the cabin and what will need to be done.
The family is asking if there is anyone who can help them locate any of the individuals who were listed above living relatives to please contact Barry Haycock at 10472 S. 2200 W, South Jordan, UT 84095.