Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is September 17, 2014
home newssports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » September 14, 2010 » Carbon County News » Wellington flood control dam construction to begin soon
Published 1,464 days ago

Wellington flood control dam construction to begin soon


Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

By JOHN SERFUSTINI
Sun Advocate Reporter

Work is expected to begin before the end of September on a project that will reduce the threat of floods in east Wellington. The city council on Wednesday awarded a construction contract to Nelco Construction for $204,382.50 to build a 16-foot-high dam designed to impound storm water north of town.

The Debris Basin dam is about twice as expensive as engineers estimated six years ago because the state has declared that the dam and temporary reservoir are in a high risk area and construction has to follow more stringent rules. A dam breach that close to town would be more devastating than the flood it was intended to prevent.

Plans call for a 12-inch diameter pipe to convey water gradually from the basin to a 30-inch pipe beneath US-6, then empty into Flood Wash. However, Merrial Johansen of Johansen & Tuttle Engineering told the council Wednesday that the city is going to be about $220,000 short on funds. Pipe, labor, acquisition of rights-of-way and engineering will push total project cost over the $500,000 mark.

His firm will assist the city in putting together an application for a grant from the state's Permanent Community Impact Board, he said. The city already has a $325,000 loan from the CIB and has kicked in $25,000 of its own cash so far, as well as about $100,000 of in-kind labor.

Meanwhile, Mayor Ben Blackburn told the council he is going to lobby to get the outstanding loan changed to an outright grant. He is going to State Capitol again this week to attend a meeting of the Legislature's Interim Revenue and Taxation Committee to see if there is any progress on the suggestion to give the CIB the authority to turn loans into grants in emergencies.

That idea, which has the backing of Rep. Christine Watkins and Sen. David Hinkins, came about as a way of saving Wellington's budget from a crisis caused by a sales tax exemption for mining equipment passed three years ago. The city lost between a quarter and a third of its revenue as a result, and will have difficulty making payments on the CIB loan.

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints


Top of Page


 
Article Photos  
Browse / enlarge – (1 total)
Print photo(s) with article
Get photo reprints on CD
NOTE: To print only the article and included photos, use the print photo(s) with article link above.
Carbon County News  
September 14, 2010
Recent Local News
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories



Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us