Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is October 10, 2015
home news sports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » October 17, 2002 » Carbon Senior Scene » Long term care ombudsman program
Published 4,741 days ago

Long term care ombudsman program

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

The long-term care Ombudsman protects residents rights in nursing homes, residential care facilities, and adult foster care by voicing and resolving the concerns which many elderly encounter.

What do Ombudsmen Do?

Ombudsmen help with problems, about quality of care, food, finances, choice of visitors, resident rights and other concerns a resident may have.

Ombudsmen receive complaints from residents, family members, facility staff or anyone concerned about the resident. Ombudsmen also address other issues including: As an advocate they work on behalf of a resident to resolve complaints and voice concerns. As an educator they inform residents, families, and friends about their rights and responsibilities. As a mediator they are the spokes people for the resident, communicating their needs to the appropriate staff. As an intermediary they work with other agencies for the client, making referrals and providing follow-up to assure action. As information and referral people they provide information on how to select a long term care facility.

Why an Ombudsman?

There are many reasons why many residents are unable to address their own problems. Often they are unaware of their rights or have mental and or other physical limitations. At times the process of working is to resolve a complaint is overwhelming and institutional factors such as isolation and lack of power make it difficult for a resident to solve problems alone. Often the elderly person is fearful of retaliation by the staff of the facility that serve as the care giver.

How can someone reach the Long Term Care Ombudsman?

If you have a question, complaint or a concern about the quality of life and care of a resident, =or you would like more information in Carbon and Emery counties people are encouraged to contact Richard or Myrna Jewkes at 637-1674 or 637-4950.

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Top of Page

Carbon Senior Scene  
October 17, 2002
Recent Focus
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories

Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us