Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is November 28, 2014
home newssports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » December 23, 2008 » Carbon County News » Company encourages Carbon residents to exercise caution d...
Published 2,166 days ago

Company encourages Carbon residents to exercise caution during power outages


Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Rocky Mountain Power encourages Carbon County residents to take precautions when storms arrive in the Castle Valley region.

"We work hard to avoid power outages. But when bad weather strikes and outages occur, we work even harder to restore power safely and quickly," commented Mike Felice, company safety director. "Just as our crews are prepared to respond to outages, we ask our customers to be prepared as well to help ensure the safety and well-being of their families."

During power outages, the company encourages local residents to:

•First check the fuses and circuit breakers.

If the power failure is not caused inside the home or business, Castle Valley customers should report the outage to Rocky Mountain Power by calling toll free at 1-877-548-3768.

•Refrain from opening refrigerators and freezers as much as possible.

The appliances will keep food and perishables inside cold for a longer period of time if not opened.

•Preserve body heat by wearing multiple layers of clothing.

People should add a hat and blanket to stay warm.

Blankets and towels around windows and doors will help keep the heat inside the structure.

•Never use kerosene or propane heaters inside without proper ventilation.

The heaters create dangerous fumes. Also, don't ever burn charcoal in your house or garage.

•Make sure generators are properly wired for your home or business.

People should never connect a generator directly to the home's main fuse box or circuit panel. This can create a dangerous backfeed hazard for line crews.

•Do not operate a portable generator inside a home or garage.

People should always properly ventilate a portable generator.

Gasoline-powered generators produce carbon monoxide and the fumes can be deadly.

As an added protection, ensure that carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are installed and working properly.

•Protect water pipes during freezing weather by wrapping with insulation.

People should leave faucets dripping so water won't freeze and crack the pipes, indicated the company.

•Turn on porch lights at the residence when the power is back in service.

After the company's crews complete repairs, the members patrol the area of the power failure to see if lights are on.

•Stay as far away as possible from downed or drooping power and utility lines.

Power lines carry high voltage electricity that can cause serious injury or death if people get too close, stressed the company.

Winter storms, high winds and accidents occasionally cause downed power lines, presenting a potentially dangerous situation for anyone in the area.

"Staying away from downed power lines, acting quickly to keep others out of the area, and immediately notifying Rocky Mountain Power or emergency responders can prevent serious injury and save lives," said Felice.

Even if the power transmission lines are not sparking, they could still be electrified and extremely dangerous.

Local residents should also keep everyone, including pets, out of the area and report the downed line to Rocky Mountain Power .

In addition, people should never come into contact with an individual or object that is touching a power line.

Instead, people should call 911 immediately if someone is in contact with a live power line or has been injured by electrical contact.

Motorists should never drive over downed power lines.

If a power line falls across a motor vehicle, the drivers and passengers should stay inside and wait for emergency personnel arrive at the scene to cut the power, pointed out the company.

.If a car is on fire, the driver and passengers should jump with feet together as far from the vehicle as possible.

Drivers and passengers should not touch the car and the ground at the same time.

People exiting the vehicle should land with their feet still together. They should then hop with both feet touching until they are at least 30 feet away from the burning vehicle, advised the company.

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints


Top of Page


 
Carbon County News  
December 23, 2008
Recent Local News
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories



Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us