Sun Advocate hosts firefighters benefit
During fire prevention week on Oct. 5-11 the Sun Advocate will be hosting the First Annual "Fire in the Hole," Volunteer Firefighters Charity Golf Tournament. The event, to be played on Oct. 11 rain or shine, will raise funds for six county departments and spread the word that these brave men and women put their lives on the line daily to protect the families and property of Castle Valley.
While the stipend received for members of each department varies, it is important to remember that our firefighters are called volunteer for a reason and even though they may have the training and expertise of their better paid counterparts, they choose to serve their community for a relatively small amount of pay.
Funds raised at the tournament will be split evenly between the departments and turned directly over to the city's fire chief to use as they see fit. While the amount raised will certainly not purchase a truck or even a full set of personnel protective equipment it is the hope of the paper that the money will be able to help offset smaller purchases, easing the burden of smaller local cities and giving departments the ability to make some purchases on their own.
The four man scramble will be filled with games and prizes with the thought in mind that charity for local firefighters is more important than a round of golf.
"If it snows maybe we build little camp fires for the departments to put out," laughed tournament co-organizer and Sun Advocate Advertising Director, Jenni Fasselin. "We are going to get out there on the 11th and raise some money for our firefighters and there is no way a little bad weather is going to get in our way."
Most all area firefighters work a full time jobs in conjunction with their municipal duties and are required to spend a significant amount of time away from home in order to maintain or garner their necessary certifications. This has become more and more important as grants are now largely tied to total squad firefighter one compliance.
As written in the fire prevention website at www.nfpa.org, fire prevention is a easy thing to over-look but is essential to the safety of one's home.
"We are very excited that the paper has decided to step up and do this for us," said Price Fire Chief Paul Bedont. "And to tell you the truth the money raised isn't even the real issue. It's awareness. If we can keep people aware of how important fire prevention is and save a life then a wonderful thing has been accomplished and in addition to that if we keep firefighters in the public eye, then when the need arises for us to get new equipment that might cost the taxpayers some dollars they see it is for a worthy cause."
While the paper is doing all it can to support local fire fighters, local firefighters are doing what they can to save Carbon residents.
One scenario given by the National Fire Prevention Association site is all to familiar to most families, "a pot holder too close to a lit burner or a space heater left on overnight could be all it takes to start a home fire.
In fact, cooking and heating are among the leading causes of home fire in the United States."
Because of the this Carbon County fire fighters are teaming up with the NFPA from Oct. 5-11 to urge Carbon County residents to prevent home fires.
This year's campaign focuses on preventing all the leading causes of home fires: cooking, heating, electrical equipment and smoking fires.
Additionally fire safety educators will be teaching local residents how to plan and practice escape from a home in the case of a fire.
According to the latest research from the NFPA, more than 2,500 people died in home fires in the United States in 2006 and 12,500 were injured. Fire departments responded to 396,000 home fires, which accounted for 80 percent of civilians deaths and 76 percent of injuries that year.
"While the number of fires can very from area to area, the good news is that many are easily preventable when residents take simple steps to increase their safety from fire, concluded the Price fire chief. "Whether it's smoking outside the home, keeping space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, or staying in the kitchen when you are using the stove top, there are easy things you can do to keep your home and family safe from fire."