Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is September 16, 2014
home newssports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » April 8, 2008 » Local News » Power company stresses electrical safety
Published 2,352 days ago

Power company stresses electrical safety


Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Electricity can be harmful and children are particularly susceptible to power-related accidents.

Local residents should remember that there is enough power at all electrical outlets to cause serious injury or death if proper safety precautions are not taken.

"It's important that parents and caregivers protect children from electrical injury by regularly checking to ensure that homes are free from potential hazards," said Mike Felice, Rocky Mountain Power safety director. "Ensure that safe conditions exist in day care facilities, in hotels when traveling, and in the homes of neighbors and friends where children play. Teach children at a young age to avoid potential electrical hazards both inside and outside the home."

Most accidents that occur in the home can be avoided by exercising caution around electrical equipment, heeding safety precautions and using common sense. Consumers should take the time to eliminate potential hazards and instruct family members on household electrical safety.

Rocky Mountain Power offers several tips for safely using electricity inside the home. Local residents should:

•Avoid overloading electrical circuits. This is a common cause of fires.

•Use outlet plug covers if small children live in the house.

•Use extension cords wisely and never exceed the load rating.

People should always throw away damaged cords.

Extension cords should not be used as a replacement for permanent wiring.

•Attach extension cords to appliances before plugging into outlets.

• Always disconnect by pulling on the plug - not the cord.

•Unplug appliances before attempting any repairs.

•Use three-pronged grounded plugs only in three-prong outlets.

People should never cut the third prong off a plug.

•Never use electrical appliances near water.

Hair dryers, radios and bathroom or kitchen appliances should be kept away from sinks and tubs.

•Use ground fault circuit interrupters - outlets with red and black test and reset buttons - in bathrooms, garages, near kitchen sinks and outdoors.

The outlets are designed to shut off power during a short circuit or grounding event.

•When performing electrical projects around the home, people should turn off circuit breakers. The circuits should then be tested to make sure they are de-energized before performing any work.

For additional information, Carbon County residents may visit www.rockymountainpower.net/safety or call the company toll-free 800-375-7085 for free electrical safety materials.


Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints


Top of Page


 
Local News  
April 8, 2008
Recent Local News
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories



Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us