Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is October 10, 2015
home newssports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » March 15, 2007 » Local News » IRS Makes Free File Available for Telephone Tax Refund
Published 3,131 days ago

IRS Makes Free File Available for Telephone Tax Refund

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

The Internal Revenue Service reminds telephone customers who do not normally file tax returns that they can use Free File to request the telephone excise tax refund. This group includes low-income people, many of them senior citizens. IRS's Free File is the easiest and quickest way to request the refund, which, if directly deposited, could arrive in the taxpayer's bank account in two weeks or less.

"This program provides the option for most people to do their taxes electronically and for free," said IRS Commissioner Mark W. Everson.

The refund covers the 3-percent tax paid on long-distance and bundled service billed after Feb. 28, 2003, and before Aug. 1, 2006.

Federal long-distance excise taxes paid on land line, cell phone, fax and Internet phone service qualify for the refund. This includes bundled service - local and long-distance service provided under a plan that does not separately list the charge for local service. Bundled service includes, for example, phone plans that provide both local and long-distance service for either a flat monthly fee or a charge that varies with the time for which the service is used.

The tax no longer applies to these kinds of service, though it continues to apply to local-only phone service.

Telephone customers have two choices for requesting the refund. They may:

•Use the actual amount of tax paid, as shown on phone bills and other records; or

•Use a standard amount. This amount ranges from $30 to $60, based on the number of personal exemptions the customer is eligible to claim.

Both choices are available through IRS Free File. Just go to, click "2007 Free File" and follow the directions. Three Free File Alliance members are providing free access to Form 1040EZ-T to request the standard amount. Some Alliance members are also offering free access to Form 8913 to request the actual amount.

Free File is a program run by the IRS and the Free File Alliance, a consortium of tax preparation software companies. Seventy percent of the nation's taxpayers - those with an adjusted gross income of $52,000 or less - are eligible for Free File. Each company sets its own criteria for who can use the service. The program is available only through

Alternatively, low-income telephone customers who prefer having someone else prepare their refund request can get free help by visiting one of more than 12,000 neighborhood tax-assistance sites nationwide. Trained community volunteers fill out telephone tax refund requests and basic income-tax returns for low-income people and senior citizens. To locate the nearest volunteer tax-help site, call AARP at 1-888-227-7669 or the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Free File users who forgot to request the telephone excise tax refund can file an amended return using Form 1040X. The IRS recommends that Free File users wait until three weeks after they filed their original return before sending in Form 1040X. This form cannot be e-filed; it must be filed by paper. Form 1040X can be downloaded from

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Top of Page

Local News  
March 15, 2007
Recent Local News
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories

Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us