Classifieds Business Directory Jobs Real Estate Autos Legal Notices ePubs Subscribe Archives
Today is October 8, 2015
home newssports feature opinion fyi society obits multimedia

Front Page » November 28, 2006 » Local News » IRS Seeking 1,007 Taxpayers Across Utah Due $719,000 in F...
Published 3,236 days ago

IRS Seeking 1,007 Taxpayers Across Utah Due $719,000 in Federal Income Refunds

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

An average refund of $714.17 is waiting for 1,007 taxpayers at locations across Utah whose federal refund checks have been returned to the United States Internal Revenue Service as undeliverable.

The checks, worth more than $719,000, may be claimed as soon as the Utah taxpayers update addresses with the federal agency.

In some cases, a taxpayer has more than one check waiting.

Nationwide, an average refund of $963 is waiting for 95,746 taxpayers whose refund checks have been returned as undeliverable, totaling more than $92.2 million.

"Every year, many taxpayers miss their refunds because they move without notifying the IRS or Postal Service of a change of address," explained IRS commissioner Mark Everson. "For those missing their check, the IRS is making it easier than ever for taxpayers to update their information and claim their refunds."

Carbon County taxpayers with Internet access may use the "Where's My Refund?" feature on the home page of the IRS Web site to learn the status of federal refunds.

The site may be accessed at

To use the feature, local residents must enter Social Security numbers, filing status and the refund amounts shown on the taxpayers 2005 tax return.

When the information is submitted, the site will display the status of a refund and, in some cases, provide instructions on how to resolve potential account issues.

Carbon County taxpayers may access a telephone version of "Where's My Refund?" by calling the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1954.

Refund checks can go astray for a variety of reasons, pointed out the IRS commissioner.

Sometimes a life change results in a change of address. When a taxpayer moves or changes address and fails to notify the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service, a check sent to the last known address is returned to the IRS.

"Where's My Refund?" has an online mailing address update feature for taxpayers whose refund checks were returned to IRS.

If an undeliverable check was originally issued within the past 12 months, the taxpayer will be prompted online to provide an updated mailing address.

The address update feature is only available to taxpayers using the Web version of "Where's My Refund?"

Taxpayers with undelivered refund checks who access "Where's My Refund?" by phone will receive instructions on next steps.

Individuals whose refunds were not returned to the IRS as undeliverable cannot update their mailing addresses through the "Where's My Refund?" service.

Local taxpayers may ensure the IRS has correct addresses by filing Form 8822, Change of Address.

Residents may download the form from or request a copy by calling the agency toll-free at 1-800-829-3676).

Local residents who do not have access to the Internet and think they may be missing a refund should check financial records or contact tax preparers, then call the IRS toll-free assistance line at 1-800-829-1040 to update addresses.

Taxpayers may also take advantage of direct deposit. Taxpayers who choose the service receive federal refunds directly into a personal checking or savings account.

Direct deposit, which also guards against theft or lost refund checks, is available for filers of paper and electronic federal income tax returns., concluded the IRS commissioner

Print PageEmail PageShareGet Reprints

Top of Page

Local News  
November 28, 2006
Recent Local News
Quick Links
Subscribe via RSS
Related Articles  
Related Stories

Best viewed with Firefox
Get Firefox

© Sun Advocate, 2000-2013. All rights reserved. All material found on this website, unless otherwise specified, is copyright and may not be reproduced without the explicit written permission from the publisher of the Sun Advocate.
Legal Notices & Terms of Use    Privacy Policy    Advertising Info    FAQ    Contact Us
  RSS Feeds    News on Your Site    Staff Information    Submitting Content    About Us